So this big excitement from this past weekend was that Dave and I went to a motorcycle race. It was fun to watch- these guys go whipping past us at like 160 miles per hour. The Woodburys (Mark and Jason) are a team in endurance races- each event is 1.5 hours long and they have to keep going the entire time but can switch off riders as often as needed (or not at all). A pit stop is required at least once per race. We saw two guys go down in this past race, thankfully neither were hurt (but one had been in first place).
Dave and I go help out as "pit crew." Which means I sit there and chat (and occasionally take pictures) and Dave gets up and helps the two switch riders (watches for the signal that the rider is coming off the track, holds the bike, helps to refill the gas tank, etc). The longest race of the season is coming up in a few weeks- it's a four hour endurance race. Dave and I will definitely be there for that.
Anyway, it was mentioned that maybe Dave should start practicing/training for these races so that he could start racing. Hmmm... I'm not so sure about that. I have been told that racing on a track is safer than riding out in the streets, but still- he'd be going 150 MPH! Not to mention that a new pair of tires is required for pretty much every race. So we'll see.
Dave and I go help out as "pit crew." Which means I sit there and chat (and occasionally take pictures) and Dave gets up and helps the two switch riders (watches for the signal that the rider is coming off the track, holds the bike, helps to refill the gas tank, etc). The longest race of the season is coming up in a few weeks- it's a four hour endurance race. Dave and I will definitely be there for that.
Anyway, it was mentioned that maybe Dave should start practicing/training for these races so that he could start racing. Hmmm... I'm not so sure about that. I have been told that racing on a track is safer than riding out in the streets, but still- he'd be going 150 MPH! Not to mention that a new pair of tires is required for pretty much every race. So we'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment