Sunday, November 18, 2012

Almost Thanksgiving!

Every time I sit down to write an entry I seriously kick myself for not writing down what we do during the week.  It's been a busy week for us- it seems like we were running around constantly.  But maybe that's just me.  Thankfully this has been a drama free week, just busy. 
My friend Katie came into town on Wednesday and the boys and I picked her up from the airport.  It was fun to see her again- as it always is when she comes into town.  Katie is one of my oldest/closest friends.  We went to some of high school together and then came out to Utah together.  We've had lots of ups and downs.  It is sometimes amazing to me to see how far we each have come, despite taking radically different paths. :) And it helps reinforce to me (and probably to her) how content we are with our lives. It's nice to have that kind of touch stone in my life. :) Plus, she doesn't have kids so it's always fun to watch her have a conversation with Ethan and see her try to figure out what to do with Emery. :) (Katie, if you're reading this, you're great- you should think about getting some of your own.)
Friday Night was a first for some of us G's... We actually got together as adults and went out to eat!  It was a lot of fun- and such good company.  Dave and I have been married for over 4 years now, I don't know why we didn't think about doing something like this before.  Hopefully we can all get together and do it again- sooner than 4 years from now. 
And then Saturday, my friend Brittany and I went to see Breaking Dawn Part 2.  Okay, stop laughing.  It was great.  The first movie (Twilight) was painful, so it was so nice to see the series end on a high note (as far as movies go).  I'd actually go back and see it again- and drag Dave with me- I think he might actually like it.  It was nice to have "girl" time.  To talk to another adult about adult things and just hang out.  I have been seriously spoiled this past month in getting in some serious adult time.  Maybe I'm like a bear and I'm trying to stock up before I have this little baby and have to go into "hibernation." 
As for the boys.  It's been a grand week for them as well.  Ethan went to my last doctor's appointment with me.  He was so excited.  Ethan has really been in doctor mode lately (probably ever since Em broke his arm).  Ethan gives daddy a check up at least 2-3 times a week (with his tools- the hammer, screwdriver, etc).  And Ethan has been expressing a lot of interest in his soon to be baby brother (he was carrying the ultrasound pictures around for a while).  Anyway, I thought it would be a fun treat to bring Ethan to listen to the heartbeat.  Well, the doctor one upped me- she actually let Ethan hold the Sonogram tool to listen to the baby's heartbeat.  Ethan stood next to the doctor on a stool during the exam (just listened to the hearbeat and measured the growth).  Ethan really can't wait for the baby to arrive.  :) At least I can say now there's only about a month to go!  I am so ready to be done being pregnant.  The first pregnancy was magical, the second one was tiring, this one is just hard.  Kudos to people that have more than 3 kids.  Before I started having kids I thought I wanted four and now I hope I can keep it together for three. :) We have been working with Ethan on his reading and writing as well.  Ethan can now write all of the letters of his name on his own.  Soon maybe he'll write them in order. :) I'm still so proud of him!  Three years old and he can write his name. :)
Emery, our little daredevil, is doing great.  He's getting teeth in left and right now.  He has a molar coming in and it looks like a front tooth that should be breaking through soon.  Emery also seems to be heading towards the no nap zone.  It gets harder and harder to get him to fall asleep and if he doesn nap, it takes forever to get him to go to sleep at night.  This is always the worst transition phase for me- I'm still so used to nap time and it always means grumpy afternoons for everyone. 
Friday, the boys and I went swimming at our Rec Center.  There's an open swim time from 12-2 that I like taking the boys to.  Ethan has his little floaty so he gets to run all over the pool (well, close to me) but Em just hates his floaty (he wore it for all of 2 minutes and you'd have thought I was pinching him or someother abusive thing the whole time).  He really wants to run around free like Ethan but isn't big enough yet.  One thing I love about the pool is that it gradually slopes to get deeper and the bottom is really soft.  Em likes to sit down and scootch on his bum until the water gets to deep for him.  I really have to watch him. :) I'm proud that I got over my fear of taking the boys swimming by myself (I was worried about the boys running two different directions and not being able to take care of them).  I want to try to take the boys swimming one more time before I have this next little boy.  Because then it will be a long wait until we go back. 
And this upcoming week is Thanksgiving! I love this holiday and the official (it seems) start of the Christmas season.  We're going to be eating dinner with my sister- she making the turkey (she did such an awesome job last year), and I'll be making my favorite side dishes.  It's a great combination.  :) I love that the holiday traditions for Dave and I have lined up the way they have- we do Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve with my family and get together with Dave's family on Christmas Day for dinner.  There's never a conflict and it's always just right. :)
I'm not going to complain about it, because everyone else already does, but I do find it odd that the very holiday we celebrate all of our blessings and think of what we are thankful for is slowly being consumed by retailers as another day to go out and buy more, more, more! It kind of makes it hard to focus on what we have.  It's just kind of sad that Black Friday has turned into Black Thursday. 
And I just down loaded all of the pictures I have taken from this past week... and it's just a few pictures of Emery getting all sloppy eating an open faced peanut butter sandwich.  Woo me!  Way to track my kids growing and changing!
 

And just for fun- here's the boys trying Pop Rocks for the first time:

No comments: