But Ethan's enthusiasm is pretty contagious. I am already looking forward to Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas as well. Especially Christmas. Having a kid in the house that looks forward to the holidays just makes it that much more exciting- brings back the feeling of the season when I was a kid. October 1 through about January 5 is about my favorite time of the year, so I'm already in a good mood- Ethan just helps. :)
I've been trying to plan ahead for the holidays. I really like having all of my Christmas shopping done by Thanksgiving. I'll shop the post Thanksgiving sales for small things and for extra bonus presents if there is something especially on a good sale, but really, I'm done with shopping pretty early in the year. I've already started planning out what we are doing for the boys this year. And it is just so much fun! Dave and I have been researching toys to figure out what would be best for Ethan & Emery and honestly? Dave and I have been playing with a lot of toys lately. :) Just last night Dave and I snuck out to Smiths (all by ourselves!) and we wandered through the toy aisle to get ideas for what to do for Emery (Ethan seems pretty easy). Dave and I had so much fun playing with some dinosaurs and dragons and imagining what the boys would think. It was almost better than if I were a little kid and someone let me run free in a toy store. :) Almost. :)
To be honest, my real difficulty is stockings. My mom was/is the master of stocking stuffers. I can remember almost looking forward to the stockings alone as much as everything else. Seriously, my mom turned stockings into an art. And I'm still trying to pick that skill up. I've been getting tips & hints from friends that I think will help, but if you have some ideas- let me know!
Anyway, enough about Christmas... We still have to get through Halloween. I love that I am so eager to complain about retailers pushing up Christmas into October (Smiths has Halloween Candy & Christmas lights right next to each other) and yet I am totally already getting into Christmas mode and we haven't even picked up Ethan's Halloween Costume! Speaking of Halloween- I think we've decided that Ethan is going to be a Pirate. There's a pirate movie that Ethan just loves (it's pretty cute if you haven't seen it yet, I recommend it), and at the dollar store there were some pirate accessories that I bought for Ethan. So now Ethan runs around saying he's Pirate Captain (from the movie). And Emery gets to be a dinosaur this year. Next year Em can tell me what he wants to be and we'll get him his own costume. I can remember having to wait until I was old enough to go trick or treating for the first time. I was probably like 4 maybe 5? Basically, as soon as Ethan was old enough to express interest in Halloween, we've taken him out trick or treating (we take him in to our works to show off his costume, so walking around the neighborhood was an extension of that). And here Em is, only 18 months old and we'll be taking him out to at least a few houses for trick or treating (maybe? who knows, maybe I'll make him hand out candy?). Emery really likes to do anything that Ethan is doing, so it might be hard to keep Em at home while Ethan goes out. Our Young Women & Young Men are putting together a Halloween Carnival this year. I am looking forward to taking Ethan & Emery again- they had so much fun last year. Well, at least Ethan did. I think Emery just slept the whole time.
Anyway. So our week has just been another week. It was general conference last weekend and it's just been kind of a quiet week since then. I took my 3 hour glucose test on Tuesday morning. The clinic I use shares a building with a Zions Bank and the lab for the clinic is downstairs across the hall from the bank. I was standing in the hallway at 9 AM talking to Dave, waiting for the lab to open and being impatient to get the test started. Then I noticed a bunch of cops walking through the building. That was interesting. It turns out that while I was literally standing outside the bank, someone was inside robbing it! Crazy huh?! Made for a really interesting morning. I passed the glucose test (I was pretty sure I would) so everything has been peachy since then. Tuesday evening Dave had an early soccer game. When they are early enough I like to take the boys to watch Dave play. Ethan brings along his soccer ball and usually he and Em will kick it back and forth for a few minutes. Ethan was pretty cute at this last game because he climbed to the top of the bleachers and actually cheered for Daddy and watched the game (for a minute). "Go Daddy Go!" and Ethan was oohing and aahing and grumping at different points. It was hilarious to watch him, mainly because I knew he was just copying what Daddy and his uncles do when they watch soccer (Or I could be wrong and Ethan totally knows what is going on).
Friday was a rough morning for me... the boys didn't sleep well and woke up early so I was a little grumpy to start. Then Em knocked over my hot chocolate (on my newly ish cleaned carpets). Then, I was thinking that maybe I'd just work early and get a lot done that day, when our server crashed at work. Crashed hard (like for the rest of the day). So work wasn't an option either. I was just grumpy. The turning point was that- miracle of all miracles- I actually got both boys to fall asleep at the same time (Ethan never naps) and I was able to sneak in a little nap of my own. I can tell the 3rd trimester is starting to hit me harder- I hate napping, but I've been sneaking in as many as i can get lately. Friday night Dave had a game night with one of his friends so I was left to my own devices! yay! Bonus me time on a Friday night! I rented Snow White & the Huntsman and worked on a baby blanket for Baby 3. The movie was visually very pretty, so it was enjoyable in that way. But it was mildly tainted by Kirsten Stewart. Oh well, I still liked it. I'd watch it again if Dave wanted to see it. It helped that Chris Hemsworth (Thor) was in it- yummy. I'm not above saying that sometimes I rent movies just because the main actor is good looking, and Chris Hemsworth definitely fits that bill (btw, I bought Dave The Avengers for Christmas and I'm looking forward to that just as much as he is, but for different reasons).
Saturday I got it into my head that I wanted to see the new Scheels store (Scheels is an outdoor/sport/everything kind of store). We've watched it get built (kinda- we saw this gigantic building go up if we happened to be in that area) and I had heard some awesome things- like the fact there were was a gigantic fish tank and a 65 foot tall Ferris Wheel in the middle of the store. I figured it would be worth the adventure to go down there and check it out. I was hoping with the store having opened in September that it would be calmer. I was wrong. It was a mess to try to get into the parking lot (making a left turn across a busy street was the hardest part), but there was plenty of parking once we were in the parking lot (I think I'd rather have that situation than spending forever looking for a parking spot). Anyway, Scheels turned out to be a bigger adventure than I thought it would be. The ferris wheel was awesome. Emery was too short to ride it, so Daddy took Ethan while Em and I wandered around. The line for the Ferris Wheel took forever though. The boys liked the fish tank as well and there were plenty of opportunities to take silly photos around the store (which we did). Dave and I were amazed at how much there was at the store. It was seriously the size of a small mall and it was all one store. There were plenty of areas to test out equipment (a golfing range area, a rollerball alley, and I didn't see what else there was). Yeah, we're the kind of family that going to a new store was an adventure. Go us! But I'm going to maintain that my real desire was to have Ethan ride the Ferris wheel for the first time. Which he loved. He got a little bit scared near the top (no surprise there). Dave was grumpy about having to wait in the line for the ride, but afterward agreed that it was totally worth it to take Ethan on the ride. Saturday night Dave and I rented the awesome movie Battleship. If you have absolutely no expectations regarding the movie, it is okay. We laughed at a few of the parts that we were supposed to laugh at and plenty of places we weren't. And at least the movie kind of makes fun of itself? Just being from Hawaii I had major issues with locations and the timeline. Dave told me to give up the reality part and I had to agree. There was a part where there were three wildly different areas of the island where either one group could see up over the top of a mountain range to other side of the island, or where a group of guys in a lifeboat managed to make it a heck of distance in like 3 minutes (their time line, not ours). So yeah, it was dumb, but whatever, I wanted to see Honolulu get torn up and it did (a little bit).
And really that just sums up our week. The boys are doing well and getting bigger. We bought Ethan a stool from Ikea a few weeks ago and since then he's become my super kitchen helper. Ethan really likes cooking. He loves watching cooking shows and helping me when I cook. I've been trying to teach him small things about cooking and finding ways to have him help me. He seems to enjoy it. I figure if I can teach him to be safe about it now, then it will help later. And who knows, maybe I'll have an honest to goodness Chef someday. :) Em is my big cuddler. He's just happy to hold hands and be around people. This kid has no stranger danger (we'll have to work on that). I wonder if he is maybe getting another tooth in? He has not been sleeping well at all. Emery continues to be the good eater. I can give him whatever we are eating for dinner and he downs it. Ethan is still in his picky stage, but we've finally got him on board with having to eat 1 bite of whatever we are eating before he can have an alternative. Sometimes he'll eat a little bit more of our dinner, sometimes all we can get is the one bite. Before Ethan got picky, I was so proud of myself because Ethan would eat anything we ate. And in my first time parenting I thought to myself "I'm only going to make one dinner- my kids will eat what we eat or they wont eat dinner." Yeah, that lasted until I realized that going to bed hungry makes for angry kids who just don't sleep. So Ethan won that battle and now I feel like it's a victory just to get Ethan to try dinner at all.
Dave had a week off from school (kind of) for Fall Break. This week he has a midterm for one of his classes (he had the other midterm a few weeks ago). So keep Dave in your thoughts.
And me? Well, just chugging along- taking naps when I can and over doing it when I have a burst of energy.
And that's us for another week.
![]() |
| Emery the fireman (he put the hat on himself, and is sitting on the firetruck) |
![]() |
| Ethan's Halloween Sign from Preschool |
![]() |
| Wrestling on the Couch with Daddy |
![]() |
| Ethan took this picture of me. It's about the best/only picture I have of me in forever. I almost look skinny (good thing it's out of focus?) |
![]() |
| Emery learned how to give hugs and was sharing them generously. It was soooo cute. |
![]() |
| About to get on the Ferris Wheel |
![]() |
| Halfway up! (Emery & I went to the second story of the store so that we could wave at Ethan & Daddy) |
![]() |
| Ethan was holding on to Daddy pretty tight. |
![]() |
| Bears- there was a big mountain of stuffed animals to look at (at Scheels) |












No comments:
Post a Comment