Sunday, August 19, 2012

As A Man Thinketh

I think one of the more interesting aspects of this blog (for me), is that I update it after church on Sundays- usually when everyone is napping.  That means it's usually a quieter, more introspective time for me- especially now that I listen to a lesson on Sundays instead of chasing after 20 kids (in nursery).
Anyway, as I was putting together my church stuff this morning (we all actually woke up early this morning and therefore had time to take things at a nice pace), I grabbed a little book that had been given to me when I was baptized.  It's called "As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen.  It's actually more of a long essay than a book- and a very fast read.  I flipped through the pages and between Dave & I, we have highlighted almost every word.  Different things have spoken to the two of us for different reasons, but all if it can be pondered. I'm really writing about it right now 1) cause I think you should read it too and 2) because it has related to much of what we have been learning in church lately- how we need to control our thoughts and how our thoughts lead to our actions, etc.  You don't have to be LDS, or even religious, to enjoy this book.  Here's an excerpt from the Bookcraft Publisher's Introduction (you can find many different publishers for this essay):  Elder Milton R Hunter, a member of the First Council of the Seventy from 1945 until his death in 1975, explained the book's message in this way: "Keep your mind and heart clean and pure at all times.  The scriptures truthfully declared: 'For as... [a man] thinketh in his heart, so is he.' (Prov 23:7).  Our thoughts are like seeds planted in a fertile garden. They take root, grow, and eventually mature in full bloom.  Thus the very center of our character-growth is our inner thoughts.  Our thoughts precede our actions.  They are the underlying forces that shape our destiny... It is definitely true that each person is the product of his individual thinking.  Mr. James Allen aptly declared: 'Whatever your present environment may be, you will fall, remain, or rise with your thoughts, your Vision, or your Ideals.  You will become as small as your controlling desire, as great as your dominating aspiration.'"  Anyway, just in case it catches your attention, here's a link to the essay online: As A Man Thinketh.  You can also buy bound copies of it (or even get it as an e-book).  Just my thought for some Sunday reading...

And now to more fun topics... Can you believe August is more than half over? Hello!? Time goes by faster and faster- the days grow longer and the weeks grow shorter. :) Last week I wrote that Dave was starting school this past week.  I lied, I guess.  He actually starts tomorrow.  He's taking an online finance class (I am super excited and intrigued by this class- it actually sounds interesting!). And a math class.  So I guess there's balance in everything. :) Ethan still starts school on Thursday, Sept 6.  I can't wait! The first of many "First Day of School" pictures.  I can remember being mortified by my mom because every year she'd make a poster "Back to School- 19xx" and we'd have to hold it up and have our pictures taken (we have years of the horrible outfits, big glasses, and bad haircuts just waiting to come back and bite us).  We finally convinced her to move the picture taking to the backyard so at least the entire neighborhood couldn't see our mortification.  And now that I have kids? Oh yeah- Back To School Pictures.  I understand my mom a little bit more every day. :)

Anyway, I've been more or less a non-entity in our household this past week.  It was the final week of audit prep so I've been working until Midnight more or less every night for the past 2 weeks.  The good news? That part is done... the bad, there's still more to do.  I think I am looking forward to September at this point. Friday I finally called it quits and deep cleaned my house (to make up for how much I've ignored it lately).  And yet, I had 2 little boys following behind me so it didn't make much of a difference (but at least I know and that's what counts right?).

I'm trying to think if we've had any milestones this past week... We bought Ethan some Crayola Markers.  At first I thought I was the dumbest mom on the planet- Ethan was drawing on his hands (one day he drew all of his fingers black), there was ink all over the table, he carried the markers everywhere (at least he didn't draw on the walls), and he never puts the lids back on.  On the other hand, Ethan has been drawing all day long, every day for the past week.  He loves telling us stories as he is drawing.  So I feel pretty good about that.  We have some pretty awesome pictures taped up all over the house.  I know in 20 years I'm going to look back at these drawings and remember what a wonderful little boy Ethan is.  And for Emery? Well, he does whatever Ethan does.  Dave & I have been making a strong effort to spend more time with Emery 1 on 1 lately- when Ethan is sleeping or by dividing & conquering.  We've been trying to read to the boys as a group and individually.  Em has been testing us a lot lately to determine what he can and can't get away with. He's a good sport about it too.  And I think he might be teething. At least I hope he is.  I think I am the only parent that actually looks forward to teething because at least it means my kids are getting them. Emery is 16 months old and only has 4 teeth (all the front ones).  I'd be worried a little bit, but Ethan was exactly the same way.  Then he got all of his teeth all at once- so at least it wasn't a drawn out affair.  So yeah, hopefully Emery is getting tooth #5.  I am looking forward to when Ethan is in preschool because it will give me (and Dave) a few hours of special time with just Em.  Hopefully we work with Em the same way we have with Ethan- working on colors, shapes, singing, and reading, and just having fun.

Well I think that's us for another week.

At the Splash Pad- Emery really likes this fountain the best.  He usually just hangs out here the whole time.  

The Splash Pad fountains are all arranged in a circle.  Ethan likes to run around this circle and run through all of the fountains the whole time.  It really tires him out. :) 

I'm a sucker for Ikea.  Really.  I get giddy about going to Ikea (I love their french fries and chocolate cake).  And I love the idea of being able to stop and eat in the middle of a shopping trip (hint hint every where else). Anyway, We had to get Ethan a new dresser and it has been on my mind to get the boys a little table for while.  And so we did! The table & chairs are currently in our Dining Room now, and I plan on putting it downstairs once the basement is finished.  

The boys sitting together- they are stoked!

No comments: